In the spirit of “competitive cooperation,” The Christian PEN presents online courses taught by contributing members of the network. These courses are designed especially for editorial freelancers, to enhance their professional skills and boost their income.
Lessons are posted by e-mail once a week, usually on Mondays; students view the lessons at their convenience. Some classes have optional “homework assignments” to which the instructor will respond with corrections and suggestions. Some courses are interactive, encouraging members to participate in online discussions. Other classes simply involve reading and studying the lessons.
The level of participation is up to each student. You can join in the group e-mail discussions, or just read the lessons, or even save the lessons to study at a later time.
Contributing members of The Christian PEN receive discounts on all online courses! Click on the “Join” tab above to learn how to become a contributing member.
“The Christian PEN’s online courses are an excellent value. The quality of instruction and the personal feedback always exceed my expectations. I have taken a class every session for the past year–and now the perennial ones are beginning to repeat. I can’t wait for the new ones in the spring. I highly recommend PEN classes for anyone seriously considering an editing career–and to writers wishing to improve their craft.” — Vie Herlocker
Click here to see our current schedule of online courses.
List of Online Courses, Past & Future
Some courses are offered every year. Others are offered periodically or upon request.
- Copyediting and Proofreading for Freelancers
- Establishing Your Freelance Business
- Editing Fiction I
- Editing Fiction II
- Editing Fiction III – Substantive/Developmental Fiction Editing
- Substantive/Developmental Editing: Nonfiction and Memoir
Offered periodically or upon request:
- Building Client Relationships
- Copyrights and Permissions
- Developing Your Editing Specialty
- Creating and Formatting E-Books
- Editing for the Homeschool Market
- Editing Nonfiction Query Letters & Book Proposals
- Editing with Microsoft Word
- Essential Skills for Editing Nonfiction
- Fiction Bootcamp
- Fundamentals of Indexing
- Get Organized for Greater Efficiency
- Get Ready for the New Year
- Ghostwriting and Collaborating
- Grammar Refresher
- Indexing with Microsoft Word
- Introduction to E-publishing
- Marketing an e-Book
- Marketing Your Services
- Mentoring New Writers
- Polishing the PUGS
- Social Media Marketing
- Taxes for Freelancers
- The Option of Self-publishing
- The Train of Thought Writing Method
- Website Writing and Editing